I wanted to use a pastry crust I had in the fridge so I searched for a simple fruity recipe. I found this recipe for Summer Fruit Galettes and thought I’d try it. It is a tasty no sweat desert, good for when you don’t have much time.
I only made one with strawberries and blue berries because it was only for 4 of us – my husband and 2 kids. And used frozen fruit since I had some I froze last summer. I used the amount of strawberries below, but doubled the blue berries.
I think if you use frozen fruit you should up the flour to 3 tablespoons since there is a lot more liquid then in fresh fruit. I would also try adding some cinnamon and lemon next time as the fruit looses a bit of flavour when it is frozen.
The crust I used wasn’t sweet so I added extra sugar after it finished baking since I served it with unsweetened whipped cream. I think vanilla ice-cream would have been perfect with the Galettes as it would have been a great combination with the tart fruit.
Summer Fruit Galettes
- 2 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 fresh peaches – peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 pint (288 grams/10 oz) fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 pint (140 grams) fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons white sugar, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons turbinado sugar, divided (I used organic raw sugar)
- 1 egg white (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
- Lay out one crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or on a baking stone, leaving room for the second pie crust next to it.
- Mix together peaches and half the blueberries, 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons white sugar.
- Pour mixture onto one pie crust leaving a 1 inch border.
- Fold up uncovered border over the edge of the fruit and pinch into pleats.
- Brush optional egg white on the pleated pie crust. This helps the sugar stick better and gives it a nice brown color.
- Sprinkle the crust and filling with 3 tablespoons turbinado or raw sugar. (Use all 3 spoons. I only used 2 and regretted it.)
- Lay out second pie crust on the baking sheet.
- Mix together the sliced strawberries and the rest of the blueberries, flour and white sugar. Pour onto second crust and form the galette the same as the first one. Sprinkle with remaining raw sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Sprinkle with more sugar if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I think 1 galette is enough for 4 or 5 people.
After reading about Galettes, I found that there are so many different fillings that can be used. I think I’ll try some more and let you know how it goes.