This is Banana Bread and not cake…so what can you expect? It’s moist, soft, and truly bananay. It is a little heavy but that’s what happens when you use 6 or 7 bananas in one loaf of bread.
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. This is one of my favourite sites to get recipes since there are comments and ratings from so many people. This recipe had a 4 1/2 star rating from 6,696 reviews. What more can I say but that I would also give it a 5 star rating?
The vanilla and cinnamon are optional since they are not in the original recipe, but I’d say the more flavour the better.
- 2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) butter
- 3/4 (150) cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/3 cups (7 bananas) mashed overripe bananas (I used 6)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. (Mine was 8×4 inches.)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Stir in eggs and then mashed bananas until well blended.
- Gently stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
I felt there was a little too much butter in the bread – the pan was very oily when I took out the bread. I would try lowering the amount of butter the next time I make it.
This Banana Bread was sweet and satisfying. I would recommend eating it warm and fresh from the oven.