I wanted a cookie recipe my kids could make with their cousins when they came over for a sleepover. I had a Chewy Chocolate Cookie recipe that I had never tried and since they were all brownie lovers I thought it would be the right one. It turned out incredibly simple – even the kids were surprised. We forgot to add the walnuts and coffee powder but they still tasted great.
They are very chocolaty and not very sweet so chocolate icing or a drizzle of melted chocolate would be a perfect addition.
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- 4 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups (300 grams) icing sugar
- 1 cup (115 grams) cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 cup (115 grams) finely chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine and sift flour, cocoa powder, icing sugar, and coffee powder.
- Beat egg whites till frothy.
- Beat flour mixture into egg whites on low speed until combined. Then beat on high till mixture thickens.
- Fold in walnuts with a spatula.
- Drop tablespoon size dollops of batter onto a baking try covered with baking paper.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes.
I baked the cookies for 12 minutes and that was more than enough. Were I to make them again, I would try baking them for 10 minutes instead. Our batch made 16 cookies and just fit on a big baking try.
Chewy Chocolate Cookies are a simple tasty treat – great for kids. The kids enjoyed adding little decorations to the cookies when they were ready.