Today, I felt like making something easy, sweet and rich. After looking for a recipe I settled on Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars. I found this one on allrecipes.
I didn’t have any creamy peanut butter so I used crunchy and it still turned out great. The next time I make it I may add more chocolate chips to bring out the chocolate flavour more. As is, the peanut butter has the strongest taste.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars
- 2 cups (180 grams) quick cooking oats
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) butter, cold
- 1 (14 ounce; 397 grams) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup (195 grams) peanut butter
- 1 cup (152 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan. (I use baking paper.)
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter to form a crumbly mixture.
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the crumbs, and pat the rest evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter (Warm it up to make it easier to spread). Spread evenly over the oatmeal layer.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the peanut butter layer, then crumble the reserved crust over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
I baked mine for 30 minutes and that was more than enough. The top gets crunchy so you have to be a little careful while cutting it that is doesn’t crack – and I’d recommend small pieces since it is quite rich. I tasted it after I baked but was actually serving it the next day. It tasted just as good the next day as it did fresh.
I took the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bar for a family get together at our summer house and it was the perfect travelling treat as I didn’t have to worry about it getting squashed or ruined.
It was a hit!! Everyone loved it and finished it off in a jiffy. I’m sure I’ll be making it again some time soon. Hope you try it too.