With Halloween approaching there are pumpkins being sold in all the supermarkets. I decided that this year I had to buy one to carve with my kids – can you believe we have never done that before?
I looked at all the pumpkin being wasted as we cared and felt I had to use it to bake a pumpkin treat. Have you ever eaten a Halloween pumpkin? My grandma said they are not edible so I looked it up on the net. Guess what? They are not poisonous! They are just not as tasty as “sugar” pumpkins – as I found out regular pumpkins are called. Hurrah!!
I have been looking at so many pumpkin recipes and having a difficult time deciding which few to make over the next few weeks. I stared with Brownie Pumpkin Muffins.
We enjoyed this recipe even though they turned out to be muffins for us rather than mini bites like in the original recepie. I didn’t have very many mini muffin cups so I just used my small muffin cups. This meant I ended up with 22 muffins.
For some reason the consistency of the brownie batter was too thick compared to the pumpkin mixture so I couldn’t manage the swirl part of the recipe. I just made a little design on top of the pumpkin mix with some of the brownie batter in an icing gun.
The original recipe from takeamegabite.com called Pumpkin Swirl Brownie Bites Yields 48 mini bites.
Pumpkin Spice Brownie Muffins
Prep: Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cover 2 sets of mini muffins pans or 22 small muffin cups with bake spray. I use silicon cups so they don’t need any greasing.
- 8 tablespoons (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 4oz. (113 grams) unsweetened chocolate
- 1 ¼ cups (275 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
Pumpkin Mix Portion:
- 8 oz (220 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1/2 vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spices
- 1/4 teaspooon salt
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) of sugar, plus two tablespoon
- 2 tablespoon flour
- Place butter and chocolate in a double boiler or a bowl over simmering water. Stir frequently until mixture is melted. (I just put it in the micro wave for 20 seconds at a time. Mixed it and put it back in. Did it about 3 times till it was smooth.)
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and stir in sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until each is incorporated before adding the next.
- Stir in flour and beat with a wooden spoon until mixture is glossy about 1 minute.
Pumpkin Mix Portion:
- Combine all ingredients and beat until blended.
- Fill mini muffin pans 2/3 of the way up with brownie mix.
- Reserve 1/3 cup of brownie and set aside.
- Next gently pour a spoonful of pumpkin mix on top.
- Place small dots of reserved brownie on top of pumpkin mix then using a skewer or a toothpick, lightly swirl brownie dot into pumpkin mix.
- Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes.
- Start checking for doness at 10 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean the brownies are ready.
- Allow Pumpkin Swirl Brownie Bites to cool in pan for five minutes on a cooling rack before removing.
These muffins really are rather tasty. Quite a unique blend of chocolate and pumpkin spice. Neither flavour is over powering. Yummmm!!
Wishing you all a great week ahead…Happy eating!