I’m going for all pumpkin deserts for about month. So far I have made Pumpkin Brownie Muffins and a Pumpkin Roll and now for my first ever Pumpkin Cake.
I used a 9 inch spring form pan and a bunt pan to make a two layer cake. When I tasted the cake after it had cooled slightly, (I can’t wait to taste things until after they are served.) it was moist and tasted like autumn spices. I could have eaten it right then…but then I wouldn’t have been able to decorate it – which I was eager to do even though I didn’t really have a plan for how I was going to accomplish it.
- 2 (450 grams) cups sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or cooked mashed and strained pumpkin
- cream cheese frosting, below
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Directions for pumpkin cake
- Combine sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl; stir into oil mixture, beating well.
- Stir in pumpkin puree.
- Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Turn out onto racks to cool.
- Frost pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped pecans. (Or add your own decorations.)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) butter
- 8 ounces (220 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound (450 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
My decorations came about by adding food coloring to a little cream cheese icing. I started with yellow and slowly added a few drops of red at a time to get different shades of orange. I then topped it off by letting by son and niece add some black sugar stars to it in order to create some contrast. I am very happy with the result! I think it worked quite well.
Hope you are enjoying a pumpkin feast as well. Have a great weekend!!