Vanilla Muffins with Lemon Filling and Meringue Icing
I love muffins with filling and icing but it just takes longer to make them and adds more sugar – which is something we try to keep to a minimum. But I found a post on Pinterest that had a list of 34 or something recipes of
muffins cupcakes of all different flavors and colors. The first time I used one of the recipes I did a bit of a mix and match to suit our taste buds. The Fudgey chocolate muffins with blueberry filling and meringue icing was totally brilliant!
This time I decided to stick to recipe 23 which is Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Filling and Meringue Frosting. They are a winner in my books. I was proud to present them at our family gathering. My Grandma had the perfect try to serve them on adding to the classy olden day look. My daughter helped with the filling. At first I thought the holes she was cutting in the muffins to put the filling in were too small, but after tasting the sweetness of the filling I am glad she didn’t put more in them. The filling is very sweet and tangy…which is how it should be. Okay. Now for the recipe – which I adapted slightly.
- 170 grams flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 115 grams butter, room temperature
- 225 grams sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 225 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (400 C).
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in butter gradually, then sugar.
- Beat in eggs , then vanilla and milk until just mixed.
- Pour into muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- 1 egg and 1 yolk
- juice of 1 big lemon
- 115 grams butter
- 100 grams sugar
- Beat egg and yolk in a thick bottom pot on the stove on low.
- Beat in lemon, butter, and sugar.
- Stir over medium heat until the mixture has the consistency of pudding. Let cool.
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 300 grams sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- Beat water, vinegar, sugar, and egg in a thick bottomed pot on medium-low heat.
- When the sugar has dissolved, beat on high for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and beat for 3 minutes – till the soft peak stage.
I had a little filling left over so I used it as icing on some Lemon Brownies I made later. The meringue was also too much since I didn’t want to put so much on the muffins, as you can see in the pictures, since I am more into strong flavored foods and the meringue was bland to me. Well, what else can you expect? I had so much meringue left that I used it to make 2 layers of baked meringue for a Chocolate Meringue Torte I also made a few days later.
I’m glad I could add another lemon recipe to my repertoire.
Have a good weekend. How about trying some lemon filled muffins?